Vocational (job) training helps people choose and learn work that suits their skills and interests. Programs are available through local school districts and the department of education in each state.
A job helps you or your teen in many ways:
- You earn money, which helps you stay or become independent.
- You gain self-esteem and a sense of purpose.
- You interact with other people and may develop a larger social network.
Vocational training can help teens and adults:
- Identify their strengths, interests, and physical skills.
- Train for a particular job.
- Prepare for work in many different areas, such as in offices, restaurants, hospitals, stores, or factories.
Current as of: October 6, 2021
Author: Healthwise Staff
Susan C. Kim MD - Pediatrics
Kathleen Romito MD - Family Medicine
Louis Pellegrino MD - Developmental Pediatrics