USDA Food Guide
Source: U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA).
Nutrition experts from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services update their food guide every 5 years. It is for both children and adults. And it's meant to help people control portion sizes and make the healthiest choices possible within food groups.
For a personalized food guide, go to the interactive website www.ChooseMyPlate.gov.
The MyPlate design reminds people to make healthy food choices, including the following:
- Eat and drink the right amount for you.
- Avoid oversized portions.
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
- Make at least half of your grains whole grains.
- Compare sodium (salt) in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals-and choose the foods with lower numbers.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.