Getting Help Around the House
If pain is starting to get you down, let people know when you need a helping hand. Get family members or friends to help out with physical tasks you can't do right now. Here are some ideas to get you started.
- Divide up household chores.
You take the "mental" chores, like balancing the checkbook. Give "physical" chores, like cleaning the floor, to others.
- Trade chores with a friend.
If you have a skill you can trade, use it to "pay" a friend to do some housecleaning or yard work for you.
- Consider getting help from your community.
- Your community may have annual events to help homeowners with raking leaves in the fall or painting the house. Check your city's website or the local newspaper, and sign up to get this help.
- Your place of worship may have volunteers to help people in their homes.
Friends and relatives often want to help but don't know what to do. Let them know what you need. It will make them happy and will help you out.
Current as of: October 6, 2021
Author: Healthwise Staff
Anne C. Poinier MD - Internal Medicine
Martin J. Gabica MD - Family Medicine
Nancy Greenwald MD - Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation